Carers' assessments

How a carers' assessment can help you

How a carers' assessment can help you

A carers' assessment gives you the chance to tell us about your caring role so that we can provide you with the right information, advice or support. We may, for example, give you details of carers’ support groups in your area.

Your physical and emotional wellbeing and quality of life are at the heart of the assessment and there will be opportunities throughout for you to tell us if or how your caring role can be best supported.

When completing your assessment, think about your life, what you enjoy and would like to achieve, and the effect that your caring role has on you and your family.

 If you have reached a crisis in your caring role call 01235 424715. You do not have to complete the assessment form to get help.

If you or your cared-for person live outside Oxfordshire

We are responsible for assessing carers of people in Oxfordshire. If you live outside the county, in Gloucestershire, for example, but care for a person in Oxfordshire - you can complete our carers' assessment. 

If you live in Oxfordshire, but care for a person outside the county, you should seek support from the local authority where the cared-for person lives.

Printing a copy

We are unable to send you a copy of your assessment. Should you wish to keep a copy of this please use the 'Print' button in the top right hand corner to print and keep a copy for yourself.

Frequently asked questions

How do I find out if I am eligible for support?

If you provide care and support to an adult family member or friend, you may be eligible for support. A carers' assessment will help to decide what care and support you need and how much help the council can give you. Following the carers' assessment, you may be eligible for a carers' personal payment to spend on the things that make caring easier or practical support such as arranging for someone to step in when you need a short break. Or you may prefer to be put in touch with local support groups so you have people to talk to.

How can a carers' assessment help me?

A carers’ assessment will consider the impact the care and support you provide is having on your own wellbeing and important aspects of the rest of your life. It will look at the different ways caring affects your life and work out how you can carry on doing the things that are important to you and your family.

It should cover your caring role, your feelings about caring, your physical, mental and emotional health, and how caring affects your work, leisure, education, wider family and relationships.

Your physical, mental and emotional wellbeing will be at the heart of this assessment. This means that you will be able to tell the council how caring for someone is affecting your life and what could make things better for you and the person you look after.

When should I request a carers' assessment?

You can ask for a carers' assessment at any time. You should contact the council covering the area where the person you care for lives, if it is not the same as your own. If you don’t want a carers’ assessment but you are looking for advice and information about local support, we will still be able to help you.

Do I have to pay for an assessment? Will I have to pay for services provided to me as a carer?

There is no charge for any assessment. We do not charge for the services we provide to carers, so you won’t need to do a financial means test as part of the carers' assessment. Carers’ services are provided free of charge, supporting carers in continuing to care.

How can I have a carers' assessment?

The online form is the quickest way. If you need help completing the form, please contact Carers Oxfordshire: telephone 0345 050 7666 or email:

I have had a carers' assessment but why have I not been given any money?

Carers' assessments do not necessarily result in a financial payment – it may be that there is other support to enable someone to continue their caring responsibilities such as information about local support groups.

The carers' assessment that you have completed will have identified your needs and considered the impact your caring role has on your own wellbeing and other aspects of your life.

All carers completing an assessment will receive a support plan which will give you information and advice about services and support that you can benefit from to help you to meet your needs. Only those carers who have been assessed as having high needs are eligible for a carers' personal payment as an outcome of a carers' assessment.

I have already done a carers' assessment. Why do I have to answer these questions again?  

If you have previously completed a carers' assessment, we will contact you in a year's time to review your situation. When you complete the review form, if there have been significant changes in your caring role you may be asked to complete another carers' assessment. The Care Act of 2014, which outlines how care and support should be provided in England, requires us to ask these questions to help us understand your situation so that we can provide relevant support to promote your wellbeing.

Why have I received less money than last year?

Changes to carers' personal budgets in Oxfordshire were agreed by Oxfordshire County Council and Oxfordshire Clinical Commissioning Group in February 2017 following the carers' consultation last year. We have made changes so that we can continue to provide support, within the reduced financial resources available.

There is now a 'flat rate' carers' personal payment of £300 awarded following a carers' assessment or a carers' review to those carers who are assessed as having high needs.

If you have had a review or reassessment but have not been awarded a carers' personal payment this time, this is because of the change in policy to award payments to those carers who are assessed as having a high level of needs.

How can I appeal a decision not to give me funding?

You may request to go through an 'exceptions process' in which we can review the information you have provided in your assessment or review and reassess this to determine if you require additional support. If your caring role drastically changes you can also request a reassessment.

You need to put your request in writing by emailing or posting it to:

Social and Health Care team
PO Box 780

Other pages

Information links

Carers Trust

Help, advice, online community

NHS Choices

Guidance, help and support. Carers Direct helpline on 0300 123 1053 

Oxfordshire County Council

Social and health care information