Claiming benefits

Benefits adviser

If you are not sure what you are entitled to, please visit the Benefits Adviser page on the website: 

You can also find a comprehensive list of benefits on the Gov.UK website.

Oxfordshire County Council carries out a benefits check when assessing how much you pay towards your care.

Housing benefit

District councils are responsible for administering the Housing Benefit elements of these changes, and the benefit cap, until Universal Credit comes into place. They are also responsible for administering localised Council Tax reduction schemes.

For more detailed information on these changes, and sources of support, please visit the relevant pages on your local district council websites or call their benefits team:

Telephone: 0345 302 2313 Web: South Oxfordshire District Council

Telephone 01993 861030 Web: West Oxfordshire District Council

Disability benefits – once you have made a claim

You can get advice on Disability Living Allowance and Attendance Allowance claims from the Disability Living Allowance and Attendance Allowance Helpline, who should have access to your records.

Telephone: 08457 123 456 Textphone: 08457 22 44 33
Email and postal address if you’re 16 or over: Email:

Disability benefits helpline
Warbreck House
Warbreck Hill
Lancashire FY2 0YE

Email and postal address if you’re under 16:

Disability Benefits Child Unit
PO Box 34
B99 1AR

Email for attendance allowance:

You can get advice on a Personal Independence Payment claim (PIP) via the PIP helpline.

Telephone: 0845 850 3322 Textphone: 0845 601 6677

The helplines are open from 8.00am to 6.00pm, Monday to Friday.

Direct payments

Direct payments are cash payments we may be able to provide instead of giving you a service.

Direct payments can be made to:

  • people aged 16 or over who are in need of community care services
  • carers aged 16 who are eligible for carers’ services
  • people with parental responsibility for disabled children.

More Information about direct payments

Support and information links

Benefits for carers

Information on the NHS website.

Telephone: 0844 887 0005

Carers UK

The voice of Carers –
Advice line: 0808 808 7777 (Wednesday and Thursday 10am-12pm and 2pm-4pm)

Citizens Advice Oxfordshire

The Citizens Advice service helps people resolve their legal, money and other problems by providing free, independent and confidential advice. Visit Citizens Advice Oxfordshire to find your local office.

Oxfordshire carers