Courses to support carers
There are many local short courses available that may help you in your caring role - some only last an hour or two. You may be able to get help with transport or care costs for some courses.
Confidence 2 Care
Confidence 2 Careis aimed at improving support for carers aged 18 and over. You can develop your caring knowledge and skills by taking part in free local group sessions.
Confidence 2 Care consists of five free sessions each lasting 2.5 hours.
The programme covers the following subjects:
- The essentials of caring for someone each day, from medication to emergencies, at home.
- Information about up to date resources and services available to you as a carer and how to get the most out of them.
- Emotions involved in looking after someone. What strategies you use and what you could do to cope with stress more effectively.
- How your caring role fits with other aspects of your life and the balance carers who have attended the programme have said that it has made a positive difference to their lives and that of the person/s they care for and given them confidence and recognition.
The final session will enable carers to discuss the opportunity of moving forward and developing their own group.
Please register your interest for futures dates as venues will be confirmed when we have received a required minimum number:
For more information and a registration form contact Emma at
Tel: 01235 520463
Rethink- Carers’ Education and Training Programme (CETP) (Mental Health, working age)
11-week education and training programme for carers of mental health service users. CETP provides information, support and skills to improve quality of life for both carers and people with severe mental illness.
For more information contact:
Rethink Carers’ Support, Manzil Way Resource Centre, Manzil Way, Oxford, OX4 1XE
Tel: 01865 455877
Shared Care Protocol
Training to enable the carer to carry out health care tasks including moving and handling. This training is available to all carers to support them in their caring role. To access this training contact your GP surgery or discuss it with your district nurse.
SPECAL- family and Friends
One day course has been designed for the main carer and their family and friends of people with dementia/Alzheimer. Programme includes:
- The SPECAL Photograph Album© approach
- How normal memory works
- The impact of ageing
- The single, dramatic change introduced by dementia
- How to survive and thrive as a SPECAL carer
Talking Space by Oxfordshire Mind
Talking Space run a number of different programmes throughout the county and offers a practical and helpful way to tackle problems such as self esteem building, anxiety building and depression. The programmes are run as group sessions typically run for eight to ten weeks.
Please note: The organisations listed on this page are not endorsed or recommended by Oxfordshire County Council and the contact details are provided for information only.
Please feel free to contact any of the organisations on this fact sheet yourself. If required, Carers Oxfordshire can also help you further. You can contact them on 0845 050 7666, Monday to Thursday 0830-1700, Friday 0830-1600