Employment and self-employment

Combining work and a caring role can be a challenge - there are a number of organisations and laws out there to help you.  

Young people

Oxme young people's website

National Careers Service

Government website information to choose or change career.


It is important to check if any of the above will affect your benefits. As every circumstance is different it is always advisable to check before you move forward.  Contact an advice centre such as Citizens Advice.


Please note: The organisations listed on this page are not endorsed or recommended by Oxfordshire County Council and the contact details are provided for information only.

Please feel free to contact any of the organisations on this fact sheet yourself. If required, Carers Oxfordshire can also help you further. You can contact them on 0345 050 7666, Monday to Thursday 08:30-17:00, Friday 08:30-16:00

Information links

Carers Trust

Help, advice, online community

NHS Choices

Guidance, help and support. Carers Direct helpline on 0300 123 1053 

Oxfordshire County Council

Social and health care information