In the workplace

Working and have caring responsibilities can be a juggling act and it is important to balance the demands on your time. 

Finding the right way to do this and knowing where to go for assistance can make the difference between working and not working.

Sustaining employment

In order to sustain your employment a number of organisations can help you with advice and guidance.  This could range from arming you with information about your rights or helping you to work out the best way to achieve a solution for you.  If you are having difficulties or need some advice contact:

Citizens Advice Oxfordshire

Offices in Oxfordshire provide free, independent, confidential and impartial advice to everyone on their rights and responsibilities. Find out your nearest office.

Oxfordshire Welfare Rights

Barton Advice Centre call 01865 744152 or visit

Care services and emergency carers’ support

You might find that just having some information/advice about what services are available and a back-up plan can make a big difference to your piece of mind and help you continue in employment. 

If you need information about services available for the person you care for, which can support you to sustain your employment then please refer to the fact sheets titled ‘Practical Support at Home and in the Community’.

A  free service specifically for residents in Oxfordshire and provides emergency care if you are unwell or you

have a family emergency and the person you care for needs replacement care.  For more information call 0345 050 7666 .

Employment rights

When you are in employment you do have certain rights.  Below are some examples of the acts which may affect you and be the most helpful.

The Equality Act 2010. All equality legislation has been brought together into one Act and so this change brings some welcome harmonisation. However new law has also being introduced via this Act, including something particularly welcomed by working Carers, associative discrimination. Within this Act it accommodates the concept that associative discrimination is unlawful. So for example discrimination against an individual because they care for a disabled relative or child will be unlawful.

The Employment Rights Act 1996. Carers have rights in certain circumstances to take (unpaid) time off work to care for dependents.

Maternity and Parental Leave etc. Regulations 1999. Introduced parental leave. Parents of disabled children can take 18 weeks unpaid leave (usually limited to 4 weeks in any year) up to the child’s 18th birthday.

The Work and Families Act 2006In addition to parents of children under 6 and of disabled children under 18, Carers of adults who have more than 26 weeks service with their employer, now also have the right request flexible working arrangements.


Please note: The organisations listed on this page are not endorsed or recommended by Oxfordshire County Council and the contact details are provided for information only.

Please feel free to contact any of the organisations on this fact sheet yourself. If required, Carers Oxfordshire  can also help you further. You can contact them on 0345 050 7666, Monday to Thursday 08:30-17:00, Friday 08:30-16:00

From Carers Direct

Content Supplied by NHS Choices