Youthlab: Theatre Club
Youthlab Theatre Club is open to young carers aged 13 to 18 years.
The Theatre Club meet monthly and has dinner together before watching a show at The North Wall in Summertown. There is no pressure to attend every month, and it is completely free. If transport is a problem, they may be able to help.
To apply fill out this form.
If you have any questions email email@example.com
Be Free Young Carers (BFYC)
BFYC provides advice and guidance, befriending and peer support, enabling young carers to meet socialise and have fun, increasing their self-confidence and improving their mental well-being. They work with schools and families to help to alleviate the isolation, anxiety and stress that so many young carers experience. They also work with local schools to educate and offer guidance from referrals to respite opportunities. They are a not-for-profit charity and not government-funded, relying solely on donations and fundraising.
Support they provide:
- One-on-one emotional support and counselling; meeting with young carers to talk through their concerns.
- Respite Activities – Trips and workshops offering young carers time for themselves away from their caring roles, to make friends, socialise and have fun.
- Training Events – In key skills such as first aid, cookery/nutrition and relaxation to improve young carers self-confidence and ability to cope in their caring roles.
- Volunteering Opportunities – Charity Days, Befriending and Volunteering on school holiday Respite Activities, perfect for those looking for work experience or wanting to give back to their community.
- Exclusive 13+ Youth Groups – For older young carers BFYC offers user-led respite activities arranged on a monthly basis voted by young carers e.g. bowling, cinema, escape rooms, dessert parlours and restaurant at no cost to the young carers.
To access their support the young person needs to be:
- Aged 8 to 17 years old and caring or helping to care for a family member(s). This can involve caring for a parent and/or a sibling.
- Impacted by their caring responsibilities
- Live or attend school/college within either South Oxfordshire, the Vale of White Horse or Oxford City Districts
Further information for young carers
Carers Trust: https://carers.org/about-caring/about-young-carers
Know Your Rights document from Carers Trust covering assessments, support and information for young carers.